Photo from Fox Sports Asia
UFC President Dana White said on Monday that UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor would be stripped of his title if the 155-pound star does not fight until the latter's preferred date of September.
MMAjunkie's Mike Bohn reported on White's recent comments regarding a meeting between interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson and top title contender Khabib Nurmagomedov:
McGregor hasn't fought in the Octagon since he knocked out Eddie Alvarez to win the UFC lightweight championship at UFC 205 in November 2016.
The UFC stripped McGregor of his UFC featherweight championship not long after he won the lightweight belt to become the promotion's first dual-weight champion.
It has been almost five months have passed since McGregor lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the 10th round of his professional boxing debut.
If UFC does strip McGregor of his lightweight belt, it will be the first time in almost three years that the Dubliner hasn't held some form of title—interim or otherwise—in the sport.
Photo from Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images
As Days and Months go by, It appears that Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather may soon be fighting , don't book your trip to Las Vegas Yet is not official.
According to ESPN’s Brett Okamoto, California State Athletic Commission officials confirmed that McGregor has been issued a license to box in The state of California.
UFC President Dana White declined to comment when contacted by MMAjunkie.
McGregor made history earlier this month by becoming the first man to simultaneously hold two UFC titles after downing Eddie Alvarez to add the promotion’s lightweight title to a trophy case that already held the featherweight title, as well.
UFC president Dana White said McGregor would have to let go of one of the titles, though the 28-year-old famously said he wasn’t planning on willingly making such a decision.
This past weekend, UFC officials announced that McGregor had relinquished his 145-pound title, with interim champ Jose Aldo accepting undisputed status, and top contenders Max Holloway and Anthony Pettis battling for an interim title at UFC 206.
From The Herd
Colin Cowherd of FOX Sports revealed that he has gotten information indicating Mayweather vs. McGregor will take place the weekend of Sept. 17, 2016, in Las Vegas.
“I have already booked two rooms for Sept. 17 and 18 in Las Vegas,” Cowherd said. “My intel is Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather is going to happen. It changed late last week. I got a call, then somebody else sent me something yesterday and Saturday and we booked rooms in Vegas.”
Mayweather has said that he will not come out of retirement for any fight that guarantees him less than $100 million, and he has reportedly offered to pay McGregor about half of that. In an interview over the weekend, McGregor had some choice words for Mayweather regarding who needs the fight more. Here's what McGregor had to say.
“He’s getting old now. I have the size, I have the reach, I have the height. I have the youth. He needs me. I don’t need him,” the UFC featherweight champion said. “Who else can he fight? He fights someone else in the boxing realm, and all of a sudden the pay goes from $100 million to $15 million. He needs me. If he wants to talk, we can talk, but it’s me who’s in control here.”
The fight is not official yet, we will keep you posted.
Shawn Stewart is Host of The Shawn Stewart Show Tues-Thurs 6-8pm est on Sports 4 Fanz Radio.